Here’s a delicious chilled soup featuring fresh summer herbs and produce. I add crabmeat and diced steamed shrimp to the soup, but if you don’t care for seafood, simply omit these items.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 3 medium tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 medium jalapeno pepper, seed removed, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- a few drops of Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 1 cup canned crab meat, rinsed and picked for shells
- 1/2 cup cooked shrimp, diced
- 8 steamed shrimp (optional garnish)
In the bowl of a food processor, place the oil, wine, vinegar, and lime juice. Add the tomatoes, bell peppers and cucumber. Pulse several times until mixture is chopped finely but not pureed.
Pour mixture into a large container. Stir in the tomato juice, red and green onions, cilantro and jalapeno pepper. Mix and add salt, pepper and Tabasco to taste.
Add the crab meat and chopped shrimp. Chill.
Serve in large soup bowls or over sized Martini glasses. Garnish with a poached shrimp and edible flower.
To steam the shrimp:
Place one inch of water in the bottom of a saucepot fitted with a steamer basket. Remove shells from shrimp and devein. Keep tails intact.
Heat the water to a simmer. Place the shrimp in the steamer basket. Cover. Steam until shrimp are cooked—approximately 8 minutes. Remove and rinse in cold water to stop cooking.