Think “outside the box” when using Brussels sprouts. This salad is delicious and an interesting way to incorporate Brussels sprouts in to your holiday meal.
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and very thinly sliced (I use a madoline slicer to do this but you can also do this with a very sharp chef knife)
- 3/4 lb. Brussels sprouts, quartered lengthwise
- 1 2/3 cup coarsely chopped radicchio (about one large head)
- 3 ounces of Bleu cheese (We use Black River Bleu cheese from Wisconsin. Maytag Bleu is also an excellent choice.)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Stir vinegar and sugar together. Mix in onion and toss to coat. Let stand for one hour to marinate. You can make these 2 days ahead. Keep covered in the refrigerator.
Steam the Brussels sprouts in a steamer on a rack over boiling water for 6 minutes until just tender. Lift out rack. Rinse in cold water to immediately cool them. Set aside while assembling salad.
Drain the onions. Toss onions, radicchio and bleu cheese into the bowl with the sprouts. Give salad a nice “grind” of black pepper.
In a small bowl, whisk together 1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar with 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard and a pinch of salt. Whisk in 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil. Drizzle over the salad and toss. Serve in a large bowl or divide among 4 salad plates.