- 3 large sweet potatoes/yams, peeled and cubed into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 medium white onion, finely diced
- 1/2 red pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 5 pieces of applewood smoked bacon (We use Nueske brand)
- 1/4 cup toasted pepitas or chopped pecans
- salt and pepper to taste
Dice the bacon and sauté until crisp. Remove and place on a paper lined pan. Reserve for late use.
Heat enough olive oil in a large sauté pan to just coat. Add the cubed yams and sauté until tender and lightly brown. Remove from pan.
Add additional olive oil to same pan. Add the onion and red pepper. Sauté for a few minutes until tender. Add the cooked yams. Sprinkle with the brown sugar and stir to combine. Add the cooked bacon, toasted pepitas/pecans, parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
Hash can be served immediately or made ahead and reheated in the microwave or a sauté pan with a little olive oil.