This delicious salad is made with thinly sliced mangos and cucumbers along with freshly shaved coconut, toasted almonds, mint and cilantro. We toss the salad in a dressing made with orange juice, a touch of miso and honey and a dash of chili sauce! The salad is topped with two large grilled prawns.
- 2 firm, under ripe mangos
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shaved coconut, lightly toasted
- 1 large seedless cucumber
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 4 scallions thinly sliced on a diagonal
- 1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 12 large prawns tossed in extra virgin olive oil and a little extra chopped mint and cilantro
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup thawed orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons light yellow or white miso
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili sauce (available in the Oriental department of the grocery store. You may want to start by using a smaller amount to make sure the vinaigrette is not to hot to your liking)
- 1/2 cup vegetable to canola oil
- salt an white pepper to taste
To make the salad
Try to find mangos which are slightly under ripe and still firm. Peel the mangos. Using a mandoline slicer, very carefully julienne the mangos. There is a large pit in the middle of the mango. You will need to turn the mango and do one side after the other.
Using the same technique, julienne the cucumber with the mandoline. I keep the skin on the cucumber to make it easier to work with. If the cucumber has seeds, julienne only to where the seeds start.
Place the almonds on a baking sheet pan and toast them in a 350 degree oven until lightly browned. This will only take about 5 minutes. Be careful as they can burn easily.
If you live in Door County, Greens and Grains carries dried shaved coconut. You can also purchase it on line at www.nutsonline.com.
Place the coconut on a baking sheet and place in a 350 degree oven for approximately 5 minutes or until lightly toasted.
Both the coconut and the almonds can be made ahead of time.
To prepare the vinaigrette
Place the vinegar, orange concentrate, miso, ginger, honey, garlic and chili sauce in bowl. Whisk in the oil. Adjust seasoning with salt and white pepper. You may want to be careful with the chili sauce if you are not used to working with it. Add a little at a time until it is the right taste for you. The vinaigrette can be made ahead and refrigerated until ready to use.
To prepare the shrimp
Get you pan hot, then add the shrimp. Cook on both sides until done. Because there is already oil on the shrimp, there is no need to add any oil to a pan.
Have the julienne mangos and cucumbers in a bowl. Add the scallions, coconut, almonds, mint and cilantro and toss with enough dressing to just coat.
Divide the salad among your bowls.
Use a little extra toasted coconut or fresh herbs to garnish the sides of your finished plates.
This is also a great salad to serve with grilled fish or grilled chicken!